Beef, field mushrooms and kawakawa pies
( SERVES 4 )
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|500 g||Beef rump|
|1||Small onion, diced|
|2 tbsp||Olive oil|
|1 to taste||Salt|
|2||Garlic cloves, peeled and chopped|
|1||Baby carrot, (peeled and diced)|
|1 stem||Celery, (diced)|
|1 tbsp||Plain flour|
|1 tbsp||Dried kawakawa, (available from gourmet food stores)|
|1 cup||Red wine|
|2 cups||Beef stock|
|2 sheets||Puff pastry|
|1||Egg, (yolk, whisked with 1Tbsp milk to make egg wash)|
- Preheat oven to 200 degC. In a large saucepan, heat oil then add onion, garlic, celery, carrot and kawakawa.
- Stir for 5 minutes over medium-high heat then add beef, season. Continue stirring for 5 minutes then add flour.
- Stir for another 5 minutes, add wine, stock, mushrooms and bay leaves.
- Put lid onto saucepan, turn heat to low and gently simmer approximately 40 minutes, stirring occasionally until meat is tender and sauce has thickened.
- When filling has cooled, grease pie tins and line with pastry, add filling then top with pastry.
- Seal edges then brush with egg and bake for 20 minutes.