Roast apples with Marsala
( SERVES 4 )
The best apples to use for this recipe are braeburn or pink lady.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|½ cup||Marsala, wine|
|1||Orange, finely grated zest and juice|
|1 tbsp||Brown sugar|
|¼ cup||Almonds, sliced|
|1 cup||Fruit mince, or sultanas|
- Preheat the oven to 160 degC.
- Bring the Marsala and honey to a quick simmer then boil for 5 to 10 minutes until syrupy. Remove from the stove and stir in the fruit mince or sultanas.
- Combine the orange juice, zest, cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl. Core each apple, then slice width ways into rings, but not completely through (to keep its shape). Dip each apple into the orange juice mixture, then place back into a baking dish.
- Spoon the fruit mince mixed with almonds into the cavity of each apple and pour the remaining Marsala juices over each one, together with any remaining orange juice.
- Bake for 40 minutes, occasionally basting with the juices or until the apples are cooked through. Test with a skewer.