Ma's apple sponge
( SERVES 6 )
Growing up, my mother made the best fruit sponges – I remember the excitement as the spoon pierced the golden crust to reveal the fruit at the bottom.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|12||Apples, large (makes 4-6 cups of stewed fruit)|
|2||Eggs, large, at room temperature|
|1 cup||Flour, sifted|
|1 tsp||Baking powder, sifted|
|1 tbsp||Butter, melted|
|1 tsp||Vanilla essence/extract|
- Stew your apples, addinga small amount of sugar for flavour at the end of the cooking process. By adding it at the end, you always use less sugar.
- Preheat oven to 180 degC.
- While the fruit is cooking, beat the eggs with the sugar until pale, thick and foamy (approximately 2 minutes).
- Add the sifted our and baking powder. Fold the flour mixture gently into the egg mixture with fork.
- Melt the butter in the milk and add to the mix. Finally, add the vanilla.
- Pour the hot fruit into a 2L ovenproof dish, followed by the sponge mix. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until done. Test with a skewer.
- Lightly dust the sponge with icing sugar and serve with cream or custard.
Cook's tip: To ensure the best results, make sure your sponge mixture is placed on top of the hot fruit, so make your sponge while the fruit is simmering.