Strawberry and coconut icecream sandwiches
|8||Eggs, yolks only|
|1¼ cups||Caster sugar|
|⅓ cup||Plain flour|
|2½ cups||Desiccated coconut|
|⅔ cup||Condensed milk|
|1 tsp||Pure vanilla extract|
- To make the icecream: pour the milk and cream into a heavy based saucepan. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the mix.
- Stir and heat until just beneath boiling point. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the vanilla bean.
- Whisk the egg yolks together with 1 cup of the sugar until pale and the sugar has dissolved.
- Whisk 1 cup of the hot milk mixture on to the yolks then whisk the mixture back into the remaining milk.
- Return the saucepan to a low heat and cook while stirring constantly until the mixture begins to thicken. Strain and chill.
- Roughly chop the strawberries and combine with the remaining sugar. Leave for 30 minutes then fold into the custard and transfer to the icecream machine.
- To make the wafers; preheat the oven to 180 degC. Grease or line two baking sheets.
- Mix the flour, coconut and salt together.
- Pour in the condensed milk and vanilla and mix. Form into flat 8cm rounds and bake for about 15 minutes or until golden.
- Let cool before sandwiching with the icecream.