Spaghetti with Anchovies and Crisp Garlic Crumbs
( SERVES 4 )
Don't be put off by the anchovies, they melt into the background and provide a salty contrast to the toasted garlic bread crumbs.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|9 slices||Toast bread slices|
|2||Garlic cloves, crushed|
|45 g||Anchovies, drained and finely chopped|
|3||Lemons, enough for 2 tbsp of juice and 2 tsp of lemon zest, and wedges to serve|
|½ cup||Chives, finely chopped|
|½ cup||Olive oil|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
- Cook 400g of spaghetti (I used dried for this) in a large pot of boiling salted water.
- Remove the crusts from 9 slices of white toast bread and process into crumbs.
- Melt 60g of butter in a pan and cook the breadcrumbs with 2 crushed garlic cloves until well browned (keep stirring or they will burn).
- Drain the pasta and toss in 45g of anchovies (drained and finely chopped), 2 tbsp lemon juice, 2 tsp lemon zest, 1/2 cup of finely chopped chives and 1/2 cup of olive oil.
- Toss through the garlic crumbs, season and serve immediately with some lemon wedges.