Taramasalata is usually made with cured fish roe. I have used fresh here, which is just as delicious.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|1 loaf||French bread|
|6||Fish roe, good-sized|
|3 tbsp||Flour, seasoned with a pinch of salt|
|1||Lemon, zest and juice|
|3 tbsp||Onions, finely minced|
|⅓ cup||Olive oil|
- Cut 6 thick pieces of French bread on the bias. Soak bread in a bowl in 1 cup of milk.
- Take 5-7 good-sized fish roes and lightly dredge in seasoned flour.
- Heat 2 Tbsp butter in a fry pan, then gently cook the roes, turning so they colour evenly.
- Add the zest of a lemon, and cook until the roes are firm.
- Deglaze the pan with the juice of the lemon and remove all to a bowl. Cool.
- Add 3 Tbsp of finely minced onion, ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper.
- Squeeze the milk out of the bread and add to bowl.
- Remove all to food processor and blend with cup olive oil to a smooth paste.
- Season with lemon juice and chill to serve.