Eggplant and mushroom pate
This vegetarian pate is perfect for serving with crackers, crostini or fresh bread for nibbles.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|1 cup||Shiitake mushrooms, or porcini mushrooms, dried|
|1 splash||Olive oil|
|3 cloves||Garlic, crushed|
|2||Spring onions, finely chopped|
|1 tbsp||Fresh ginger, grated|
|2 tsp||Ground cumin|
|1 tsp||Ground coriander|
|1 pinch||Freshly ground black pepper|
|1 handful||Parsley, chopped|
|1 handful||Coriander, chopped|
|1 serving||Olive oil|
- Soak 1 cup of dried shitake, or porcini mushrooms, in water until soft. Squeeze all liquid from mushrooms and chop into a bowl.
- Brush 2 eggplants with olive oil and roast in a hot oven until soft and easily pierced with a knife. Remove and cool.
- Cut in half, scoop out flesh, and chop into a bowl. Add 1 tsp salt.
- Crush 3 cloves of garlic and finely chop 2 spring onions.
- Combine with mushrooms. Add 1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger, 2 tsp ground cumin, and 1 tsp ground coriander.
- Heat a little oil in a pan and cook mixture until it is soft and fragrant, about 8 minutes.
- Add the chopped eggplant, the zest and juice of a lemon and some freshly ground black pepper, and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove to a bowl and set aside to cool.
- Add a handful of chopped fresh parsley and coriander and ¼ cup of tahini. Whizz all in a food processor with enough olive oil to form a soft pate.
- Season and chill well before serving with an extra drizzle of olive oil.