Thai pork and grapefruit salad with caramel palm sugar dressing
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tamara West
Salty, sweet, sour and zesty, give your tastebuds a workout.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
Caramel palm sugar dressing
|2 tbsp||Palm sugar, shave using heavy knife if using hard block form|
|¼ cup||Fish sauce|
|1||Garlic cloves, thinly sliced|
|2||Lemons, juice of, or limes|
- Bring a medium-sized saucepan of salted water to the boil.
- Add all of pork to saucepan at once, stirring to separate the pork slices.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes until cooked through, then strain into a colander and set aside while you prepare salad. (Refrigerate if you need to keep pork longer than 10 minutes before serving.)
- Place watercress sprigs, mint and cucumber in a large salad bowl. Carefully cut grapefruit segments from between membranes and add these and any grapefruit juice to the salad.
- To make dressing, place palm sugar in a small saucepan and stir over a medium heat until it melts, then continue cooking until the palm sugar darkens slightly.
- Remove from heat and add water, taking care as sugar may spit.
- Stir to dissolve sugar in water, then transfer to a small jug and add fish sauce, garlic, and lemon or lime juice.
- Add pork to salad bowl and spoon over half of the dressing. Toss to combine.
- Spoon over more dressing and scatter chilli and coconut on top. Serve with steamed jasmine rice.