Jerk chicken & coconut rice with mango salsa
( SERVES 4 )
Jax Hamilton's winning dish represents iconic Jamaican cuisine.
To make jerk seasoning:
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|5||Spring onions, roughly chopped|
|¼ cup||Brown sugar|
|4||Red chillies, or use scotch bonnet peppers|
|1 tbsp||Freshly ground black pepper|
|½ tsp||Ground nutmeg|
|¼ tsp||Ground cinnamon|
|1 to taste||Salt|
|1||Lime, juice to taste|
|8||Boneless chicken thighs, skin on|
|1 to fry||Olive oil|
To make coconut rice:
|1 cup||Canned black beans, drained and rinsed|
|6||Garlic cloves, peeled|
|1 sprig||Fresh thyme|
|250 ml||Coconut cream|
|1 cup||Basmati rice, washed|
To make mango salsa:
|1||Mango, or use a 425g can of mango|
|1||Red chilli, deseeded and finely diced|
|1||Spring onion, finely sliced|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
- Preheat the oven to 180 degC. To make the jerk seasoning, place all the ingredients except salt, lime juice and chicken in a blender and pulse to a smooth paste.
- Taste and season with the salt and lime juice. Spread a good measure of jerk seasoning on the skin of each chicken thigh.
- Fold the thighs in half and secure with a skewer. Set aside.
- To make the coconut rice, place one cup of water in a saucepan with the black beans, garlic and thyme and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for two minutes, then add the coconut cream and rice. Turn the heat down, cover and cook for 20 minutes until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- Drain and remove the thyme sprig.
- Heat a large ovenproof frying pan over medium-high heat. Pan-fry the chicken skin-side down in a little olive oil until golden.
- Turn, then place the pan in the oven for 20 minutes.
- To make the salsa, remove the skin from the fresh mango, if using.
- Dice the mango into 5mm pieces. Add chilli and spring onion.
- Season with lime juice, salt and pepper and gently toss to combine.
- To serve, firmly push the rice and bean mixture into a greased ramekin, then turn out on to a serving plate.
- Remove the skewers from the chicken and slice each thigh in half.
- Place four chicken halves on each plate and drizzle with the pan juices. Top the chicken with the salsa.
This dish is best matched with
$ VIEW DEAL