Upside-down caramelised banana cake
|100 g||Butter, melted|
|1 cup||Brown sugar, firmly packed|
|5||Bananas, peeled and halved|
|200 g||Butter, softened|
|1½ cups||Caster sugar|
|1 tsp||Vanilla essence/extract|
|1 tsp||Ground cinnamon|
|4 tsp||Baking powder|
- Heat oven to 180 degC. Grease a 24cm springform cake tin.
- Mix melted butter with brown sugar and spread into base of cake tin.
- Cover with banana halves and set aside.
- Make cake mixture by beating butter and sugar in a bowl until thick and pale.
- Beat in eggs, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Sift flour and baking powder together and stir into creamed mixture, alternating with milk.
- Spread cake mixture over bananas. Bake for 90 minutes, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, loosen cake and invert on to a serving plate while still hot or the caramelised sugar will stick to the tin making it impossible to remove.