Chicken, chorizo and chickpeas
It's all here: protein, pulses and - thanks to the chorizo - a heap of flavour.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|2 tbsp||Olive oil|
|100 g||Chorizo sausages, thickly sliced|
|1||Onion, finely chopped|
|2 cloves||Garlic, finely chopped|
|½ tsp||Cumin seeds|
|½ tsp||Smoked paprika|
|400 g||Chopped tomatoes|
|½ cup||Chicken stock|
|400 g||Chickpeas, rinsed and drained|
- Heat the oven to 180 degC
- Heat 1 Tbsp of the olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat and brown the chicken legs on both sides.
- Transfer to an ovenproof casserole dish. Brown the chorizo slices on both sides and add to the chicken.
- Lower the heat, add the remaining olive oil, onion and garlic and cook gently until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cumin seeds and smoked paprika and cook for 30 seconds.
- Pour in the tomatoes and stock and add the chickpeas. Bring to the boil, then pour over the chicken and chorizo sausage.
- Cover and place in the pre-heated oven for 40 minutesor until the chicken legs are cooked.
- Serve with plenty of rice to soak up all the sauce and a store-bought yoghurt and cucumber dip.
- Add a few torn mint leaves for extra flavour.
Tip:If you are handy with sharp kitchen scissors or a knife, use a whole chicken and cut into 6 pieces. This dish can be cooked in the frying pan on top of the stove. Keep frying pan covered and cook at a very gentle simmer. As capsicums become more plentiful, core, deseed and slice one red capsicum and add in with the tomatoes for extra sweetness.