Asparagus, scallops and soft-boiled egg with creamy lemon dressing
( SERVES 4 )
This is an elegant spring entree that can be as indulgent as the wallet allows with the number of scallops served. The herb crumbs add a lovely crispy texture. You could go allout and even add some crispy fried bacon if you like.
Creamy lemon dressing
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|4 tbsp||Egg mayonnaise, good quality, or use Japanese "kewpie" mayonnaise.|
|3 tbsp||Lemon juice|
Asparagus, scallops, egg and herb crumbs
|1½ tbsp||Olive oil|
|2 tbsp||Breadcrumbs, Japanese panko breadcrumbs are good for this recipe|
|1||Lemon, to finely zest|
|1½ tbsp||Basil, finely chopped, or parsley can be used|
|1 bunch||Asparagus, Trimmed|
|1 to drizzle||Extra virgin olive oil|
|1||Scallops, 1 or 2 dozen|
- To make the dressing, whisk mayonnaise, lemon juice and sugar and salt together.
- Place eggs in a small pot with water and bring to the boil.
- As soon as water starts boiling, time for 2min 15sec (for soft boiled eggs with runny yolks).
- Drain and run eggs under cold water. Peel the eggs and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a small fry pan.
- Mix breadcrumbs, lemon zest and herbs together and fry for a couple ofminutes until the breadcrumbs are golden and crispy.
- Transfer to a paper towel to drain and mix with a good pinch of salt (use flaky sea salt if you have it).
- Lightly cook asparagus in boiling water or in the microwave for just 1-2 minutes, then drain.
- Heat butter in a fry pan on high heat and add scallops.
- Cook scallops for 45 seconds on each side, seasoning with salt and pepper while in the pan.
- Divide asparagus and scallops between plates.
- Carefully cut eggs in half and arrange one half on each plate.
- Drizzle over a little extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle over the crispy crumb.
- Dress plates with creamy lemon dressing just before serving.