( SERVES 6 )
A delicate shortcake sandwiched with a little jam, whipped cream and plenty of strawberries is delish. Make sure you use butter both for flavour and to guarantee the right "short" texture.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|2 cups||Self raising flour|
|2 tbsp||Caster sugar|
|4 tbsp||Butter, softened|
|¼ cup||Cream, plus 1 cut extra, whipped for serving|
|1 serving||Strawberry jam|
|1 serving||Icing sugar, to decorate|
1. preheat oven to 180c. sift the flour, sugar and salt together.
2. cut the butter into small cubes then add to the flour mixture. with your fingertips rub the mixture until it resembles breadcrumbs.
3. pour in the cream and mix gently with your hands until a soft dough forms. rest for 5 minutes.
4. on a floured surface, roll the dough to a thickness of 1 cm. cut into 6cm rounds and transfer to a lined baking sheet. gather the offcuts and repeat.
5. bake for 10 minutes or until golden. cool slightly then split. spread the bottom with a little strawberry jam. stack with sliced strawberries then cream and top with the shortcake. dust liberally with icing sugar and serve immediately.