Smoked kahawai fishcakes with chipotle mayo
( SERVES 6 )
I make fish cakes all the time. I can’t get enough of them. It’s the crunchy outer and soft flavoursome inner that makes for a textural dream when eating them. A mayonnaise-based sauce is always my “go to” for serving alongside and the combinations of flavours that you can add are limitless. The chipotle gives a smoky and slightly hot result, which I adore. - Al Brown
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|½ cup||Canola oil|
|½ cup||Green capsicum|
|1 kg||Golden kumara|
|550 g||Smoked kahawai|
|⅓ cup||Italian parsley|
|2 cups||Panko breadcrumbs|
|1 to serve||Lemon|
- In a skillet or frying pan add canola oil followed by the onion, celery and green capsicum.
- Cook on a low heat for 20 minutes without colouring, until cooked through.
- Place kumara in a suitable sized saucepan, cover with cold, salted water. Bring up to a boil and cook until just soft, about 5 minutes from boiling.
- Remove from the heat, strain and spread on a tray to cool.
- Pick through the smoked kahawai with your hands, loosely breaking up the fish and removing any remaining bones.
- Add the kahawai, cooked sweated vegetables and kumara to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the mayo, dill, chives, parsley, zest and juice of the lemon. Using clean hands blend the ingredients together until combined.
- The kumara will break up a bit and help bindthe cakes. Taste and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- In another bowl, place the panko breadcrumbs. Mould the smoked fish cakes into 12 even sized cakes, and liberally crumb. Refrigerate until required.
- Heat your barbecue flat top or skillet to medium low heat. Once hot, brush with a liberal amount of oil.
- Add the smoked fish cakes and cook until golden on either side and hot through the centre.
- To serve, place two cakes on each plate. Add a dollop of chipotle mayo and add half a lemon to each plate. Serve now.
- Chipotle mayo: Combine mayonnaise, chipotle, lemon juice and zest in a small bowl. Season, then refrigerate until required.