Potato cakes with asparagus and salsa
( SERVES 4 )
Make the salsa verde ahead of time, it will keep for 2 days in the fridge. Keep well covered. The potato cakes can be made up and cooked to order if necessary.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|2 cups||Fresh parsley, roughly chopped|
|1 cup||Mint leaves, roughly chopped|
|1 cup||Basil leaves|
|1 tsp||Capers, rinsed|
|2 tsp||Dijon mustard|
|3 tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|2 tbsp||Lemon juice|
|4||Potatoes, large floury (agria are good), peeled|
|3 tbsp||Olive oil, 2 tbsp are for frying|
|1||Onion, finely sliced|
|125 g||Streaky bacon, rindless and diced|
|2 tsp||Fresh thyme|
- Place the herbs, garlic, salt, capers and Dijon mustard in the mortar and crush using the pestle.
- Slowly pour in the oil until the mixture is creamy. Add the lemon juice and season with extra salt and a little pepper to taste.
- Cut the potatoes into even-sized pieces and boil in salted water until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain, dry off over the heat and mash. Using a wooden spoon, beat in 25g of the butter
- Place the remaining 25g butter and 1 Tbsp oil in a frying pan and cook the onion until soft and lightly golden, about 10 minutes. Add to the mashed potato.
- Using the same frying pan, cook the bacon until golden and the bacon fat is sizzling away, add the picked thyme leaves and stir.
- Add all the contents of the frying pan to the mashed potato and season with salt and pepper. Leave to cool.
- Shape the potato mix into 8 patties (cakes). Pour the remaining 2 Tbsp oil into a frying pan and heat.
- Place in 4 potato cakes and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until they have a crisp crust. Repeat with the remaining 4 potato cakes.
- Meanwhile, remove the woody ends of the asparagus spears and discard.
- Cut spears in half if you wish. Steam the asparagus spears or cook in a small amount of lightly salted boiling water for 2-3 minutes until just tender, then drain.
- Serve the potato cakes topped with the asparagus and drizzle over some of the salsa verde.
Tip: Add a poached egg or cook some sausages for the children and pass them the tomato saucebottle. Serve with a green salad, add some cut tomato and crumbly feta cheese.