Lamb chops with roasted carrot and cumin mash and mint chilli yoghurt.
( SERVES 6 )
I simply love food like this. Great New Zealand lamb chops cooked with plenty of caramelisation, a slightly spicy companion with the carrot, and a cooling fresh condiment to tie it together.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|1½ cups||Greek yoghurt, thick|
|1½ cups||Cucumber, deseeded and diced|
|¼ cup||Fresh mint, chopped|
|½ tsp||Garlic, fresh and finely chopped|
Carrot and cumin mash
|½ cup||Extra virgin olive oil|
|1½ kg||Carrots, peeled and cut into thick slices|
|1½ tsp||Cumin seeds, toasted and ground|
|2||Chilli, finely chopped, seeds optional.|
|2 tbsp||Golden syrup|
|½ cup||Coriander leaves, roughly chopped|
|12||Lamb chops, (loin)|
|1 to drizzle||Extra virgin olive oil|
- For the minted yoghurt, combine the yoghurt,cucumber, mint and garlic together in a mixing bowl.
- Season to taste with flaky sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and refrigerate until required
- For the carrot and cumin smash, heat oven to 200 degC.Place a heavy roasting dish in the oven to get hot.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss carrots with olive oil and season with flaky sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place in the hot roasting dish and cook for about 30 to 40 minutes until carrots are golden on each side and soft.
- Remove and tip them back into your large mixing bowl.
- Coarsely smash using potato masher or wand blender.Fold through cumin, chilli, golden syrup and coriander.
- Check seasoning and keep in a warm place until required.
- Place a skillet on high heat. Season lamb chops liberally with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Pour a little cooking oil into the pan. In batches, brown the chops on both sides. Remove and place in a roasting dish.
- Cook through in the oven for 5 minutes,then remove to rest.
- Spoon carrot and cumin smash onto your plate and top with lamb chops.
- Add a dollop of minted yoghurt and a slug of olive oil to finish. Serve now.