Slow-roast Asian pork with a salad of cucumber, chilli and soy
Photo by Photgraphy by Fiona Andersen
This is a great dish to feed a crowd and taste-wise it has just about everything.
For stress-free lunch time entertaining simply place prepared pork in a low temperature (100C) overnight with
half a cup of water in the roasting dish. Simply check the pork the next morning and increase the temperature to 150C until ready.
|1 kg||Pork shoulder, bone removed|
|1 tsp||Sea salt|
|1 pinch||Chilli flakes|
|2 tsp||Coriander seeds, roasted and ground|
|4||Garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped|
|5 cm||Fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped|
|2 tbsp||Vegetable oil|
|2 cups||Fresh coriander|
|2||Red chillies, seeds removed and finely sliced|
|½ cup||Fresh mint|
|1 cup||Spring onion, cut on a steep slant|
|1 cup||Baby spinach|
|1 cup||Basil, (optional)|
|½ cup||Vietnamese mint leaves, (optional)|
|3 cups||Jasmine rice, cooked|
|6 tbsp||Soy sauce|
|4 tbsp||Oyster sauce|
|2 tbsp||Fish sauce|
|1||Garlic cloves, peeled and crushed|
|1 tsp||Fresh ginger, peeled and crushed|
|1||Red chilli, seeds removed and finely sliced|
- Heat oven to 200 degC
- To prepare pork, score skin with a very sharp knife.Crush salt, chilli flakes and coriander seeds in a mortar
- and pestle. Add garlic and ginger and grind to a smooth paste.
- Muddle with vegetable oil and smear spice mix all over the skin and the flesh of the pork.
- Place pork into a roasting dish with 6-10cm sides and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, add ½ a cup of water to the roasting dish and cover with foil.
- Reduce oven to 150 degC degrees, return pork and cook for a further 2 ½ hours or until meat is falling apart.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for at least 15 minutes.
- In a stainless steel bowl gently toss cucumber, coriander, chillies, mint, spring onions, baby spinach,
- basil and Vietnamese mint together and reserve.
- To make Soy, chilli and garlic dressing mix all ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Gently heat jasmine rice and divide between 4 plates.Remove skin and excess fat from pork, portion and serve on top of rice.
- Drizzle generously with soy,chilli dressing and top with the salad greens.
- Serve immediately with a little extra dressing if desired.
Tip:Dressing can be stored in an airtight container in fridge for up to one month.
This dish is best matched with
$ VIEW DEAL