Venison Denver Leg
( SERVES 6 )
This recipe is part of a menu created by Tina Duncan for Simply You Living, highlighting New Zealand’s finest produce. For starters, delicate kai moana, followed by venison steaks with kumara fondant, pea puree and delicately herbed carrots. To finish; a sweet note of honey soufflé with walnut wafers and orange blossom labne.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|800 g||Venison Denver Legs|
|½ cup||Olive oil|
|1 handful||Fresh thyme|
|2 tsp||Juniper berries|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|½ cup||Red wine|
|2 tbsp||Venison glaze|
- Preheat oven to 220 degC. Trim venison into six steaks.
- Combine oil, garlic, orange rind, thyme, berries, salt and pepper, and marinate steaks in this mixture for several hours.
- Heat an ovenproof pan until hot and sear venison on both sides. Place pan in hot oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove steaks to a warm plate and allow to rest in a warm place for 5-10 minutes.
- Drain off excess fat from pan and deglaze with red wine.
- Add venison glaze and water. Strain off herbs, return to pan and whisk in one tablespoon of butter to create a silky sauce.