Sweetcorn Soup with Mushrooms
( SERVES 4 )
MAKE THIS SOUP with frozen corn if fresh cobs are unavailable.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|3 tbsp||Unsalted butter|
|400 g||Corn kernels|
|1 tsp||Ground cumin|
|500 ml||Chicken stock, or vegetable|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the corn kernels and cook for 8 minutes until they have softened and the onion has coloured a little. Add the cumin and cook until aromatic, then pour in the stock and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Pour the mixture into a blender and purée until smooth.
- Strain the purée through a coarse sieve, then return the soup to the saucepan and reheat until boiling.
- Melt the remaining butter in a frying pan and cook the sliced mushrooms until tender. Season lightly, then squeeze lemon juice over them. Remove from the pan and drain on absorbent paper while you pour the soup into individual bowls. Divide the mushrooms between each bowl.