Pumpkin and Potato Gratin
( SERVES 6 )
MAKE THIS DISH A few days ahead, then reheat it in the oven for a perfect supper. Alternatively, it can be served for dinner with some hearty meat that has been cooked on the bone until meltingly tender.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|150 g||Gruyere cheese|
|2 tbsp||Unsalted butter|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
- Preheat the oven to 180 degC. Bring the milk and cream to the boil in a small saucepan, then set aside to cool.
- Cut the pumpkin(peeled) and potatoes(peeled) into 3mm slices, then place in separate bowls and season with salt and pepper.
- Put a third of the grated cheese and a crushed garlic clove into each bowl.
- Whisk the cooled milk and cream with the eggs(beaten), and divide equally between the potatoes and the pumpkin.
- Grease a roasting pan with half the butter and line it with some potato slices, pushing them down.
- Cover with a layer of pumpkin, then a layer of potatoes. Continue the layering until all the slices are used up.
- Pour any remaining milk and cream over the top, sprinkle on the remaining cheese, and dot with a tablespoon of butter.
- Place the roasting dish in the oven and bake for about an hour or until golden brown.