Hot Cross Buns
( SERVES 3 )
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|450 g||High grade flour|
|2 tbsp||Brown sugar|
|1 cup||Currants, sultanas or a mixture|
|1 tbsp||Mixed spice|
- Pour the milk into a measuring jug, add the boiling water and butter and sprinkle on the Surebake yeast.
- Stir and set aside for 10 minutes. Sift the flour, sugar, salt and mixed spice into the bowl of an electric mixer or into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the liquid and fruit. If using an electric mixer, use the dough hook to knead for 7 minutes. If mixing by hand, mix in the bowl to start with, then turn out onto a floured bench and knead for 10 minutes. Return the kneaded dough to the mixing bowl, which has been greased with a teaspoon of butter.
- Cover the bowl with a damp teatowel and leave in a warm place until doubled in size. After the dough has risen in the bowl, lightly form it into a sausage and cut it into 16 pieces.
- Form each into a ball and place on a warmed baking tray. Put in a warm, moist place and leave until doubled in size.
- Pipe crosses onto the buns just before baking.
- Crosses: Put the butter and water into a small saucepan over a gentle heat. Heat until the butter melts and the water boils. Remove from the heat and beat in the flour. Add the egg and whisk until smooth. Put this mix into a piping bag and use it to make crosses on the buns.
- Bake at 220 degC for 5 minutes, then reduce heat to 180 degC for a further 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and, while the buns are still hot, brush with a glaze made by bringing to the boil 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 tablespoon milk.