Oyster Tempura with Lime and Chilli dipping sauce
( SERVES 4 )
Being such a light batter, tempura is perfect for oysters. Use fresh vegetable oil in this recipe, otherwise your beautiful oysters will taste old and tired.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
Lime and Chilli Dipping Sauce
- Use a teaspoon to remove the oysters from their shells, then place them in a small bowl. Put the shells on a serving platter. Heat the oil to 180 degC in a wok or a deep saucepan.
- Gently coat the oysters in rice flour, shaking off the excess. Dip the oysters into the batter and deep-fry for 3-4 minutes until crisp. Remove the oysters from the oil using a slotted spoon, then drain on a paper towel and sprinkle with a generous pinch of sea salt.
- Put the oysters into the shells and serve immediately with lime and chilli dipping sauce.
- Sift the flour into a bowl, then gently whisk in the water and egg. The mixture should be the consistency of pancake batter - don't worry about small lumps. Keep the batter cold until ready to use.
Lime and Chilli dipping sauce
- Put the water in a saucepan, then grate the palm sugar and add. Bring to a simmer over a moderate heat. Cook for 10 minutes until the syrup turns golden brown. Remove from the heat and cool.
- Chop the chillies finely and add to the cooled syrup with the lime zest and juice.