Chocolate Almond Cake
A delicious moist cake that will impress your afternoon tea guests.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|200 g||Caster sugar|
|1 dash||Almond essence|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
|3 tbsp||Cocoa powder|
|100 g||Ground almonds|
- Preheat the oven to 175 degC (bake). Lightly butter a round, 22cm loose-bottomed cake tin and line the bottom with baking paper.
- Cream the butter(soft) and sugar until pale and smooth. Whisk in the eggs(room temperature) one at a time, followed by the lemon zest(of 1 lemon) and almond essence.
- Into another bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and cocoa. Add the ground almonds and whisk with a fork or a whisk until thoroughly mixed. Beat half the flour mixture into the creamed mixture, followed by the milk and then the rest of the flour mixture.
- Scoop the mixture into the prepared cake tin and place in the middle of the oven. Bake for 35-45 minutes until the cake pulls away from the edge of the tin and a sharp fork poked into the middle comes out clean. Leave to settle for 5 minutes, then turn out on to a rack until cold.
- If you wish, lightly cover the top and sides of the cake with chocolate glaze.