Curried Mussels with Aubergine and Potato
( SERVES 4 )
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|24||Mussels, or cockles|
|1 cup||White wine|
|1 tsp||Ground tumeric|
|1 tsp||Cumin seeds|
|1 tsp||Yellow mustard seeds|
|3 cm||Root ginger|
|½ tsp||Chilli powder|
|1 tbsp||Ground coriander|
|1 to taste||Salt|
- Put the mussels or cockles (scrubbed and checked for broken or dead ones) into a deep saucepan over a moderate heat.
- Add the wine and cover with a lid. Steam for 2-3 minutes until the shells open. Lift out the mussels, transfer to a large bowl and toss with the turmeric.
- Soak the cumin and mustard seeds in a small amount of warm water for 10 minutes, then put into a food processor with the ginger and onion.
- Blend until smooth, using a little more water to get a thick paste.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion paste over a low heat until fragrant, then add the chilli powder, ground coriander and 3cm potato chunks.
- Add the 2.5cm aubergine cubes, pour in the remaining water and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Season with a little salt, then add the mussels. Add more water if required, and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Serve sprinkled with coriander leaves and accompanied by bowls of steaming basmati rice.