Beef À la Ficelle (Poached Fillet of Beef With Aromatic Vegetables)
( SERVES 6 )
Something a little fancier for a weekday dinner.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|6 fillets||Beef, 180/fillet|
|2 tbsp||Olive oil|
|1||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|1 Ltr||Beef stock|
|1 Ltr||Chicken stock|
|1 sprig||Fresh thyme|
|1 to taste||Sea salt|
- Tie each steak with butcher's twine, making sure to leave one long end. The twine will help to retain the shape of the meat as well as giving you a means to remove it from the stock.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and quickly sear the beef on all sides. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Remove the beef to a deep pot and hang the long ends of twine over the sides - I tie the ends to the handles.
- Add the onion, carrot, beetroot, potato and turnips(all diced) to the pot. Add the stocks. Bring to a gentle simmer, then add the herbs and garlic and cook the steaks for 12 minutes (for medium rare) from the time the broth starts to simmer.
- Lift the steaks out of the stock, then remove the twine and cover while they rest for 10 minutes. Lift the vegetables out of the stock and divide between 6 bowls.
- Divide the cooked asparagus between the bowls (the hot stock will warm it through).
- Ladle the stock over the vegetables. Cut each steak in half and place the pieces in the centre.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and serve with horseradish cream.