( SERVES 4 )
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|4 tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|1 tsp||Ground cumin|
|1 cup||White wine|
|1 cup||Chicken stock|
|6 sprigs||Fresh rosemary|
|2 tbsp||Fresh parsley|
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Use 4 free-range chicken legs, thighs and drumsticks, separated or 1 chicken cut into 8 pieces.
- Cut the chicken pieces in half, then dust with flour seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a heavy casserole dish suitable for stove-top use and brown the chicken well on all sides. Remove to a plate. Pour off some of the excess fat from the pan, leaving about 4 tablespoons.
- Add the finely chopped onion and ground cumin to the pan and fry gently for 4-5 minutes or until golden and soft. Add the fennel (quartered) and aubergine (cut into 6cm chunks) and toss well.
- Add the wine, stock, rosemary and chicken pieces and bring to a simmer. Cover with the lid, and bake for 50-60 minutes. Remove the casserole from the oven and check there is still plenty of liquid. Add a little water if necessary. If the meat is starting to fall off the bone, it’s ready, or it may need a further 15 minutes to ensure it is “cooked until delicious”.
- Stand the dish for about 5 minutes before dusting with parsley and serving with roasted or boiled potatoes and a steamed green vegetable.
This dish is best matched with
$ VIEW DEAL