Crepes with Poached Berry Fruits and Vanilla Mascarpone
|2 tbsp||Unsalted butter|
|1 to taste||Salt|
Poached Berry fruits with Vanilla Mascarpone
|1 tsp||Vanilla essence/extract|
|2 tsp||Icing sugar|
|1 to serve||Mascarpone|
- Whisk the melted butter with the eggs, sugar and milk until smooth. Place the flour in a bowl, make a well in the centre, then pour in the egg mixture. Whisk until it is smooth and has the consistency of pouring cream, then season with salt. Refrigerate for 2 hours before using.
- Heat a small omelette or frying pan over a low heat - if it's too hot, the butter will scorch. Wipe the pan with a piece of buttered paper towel, then remove the pan from the heat and pour in 50-60ml of batter. Tilt the pan so the batter covers the whole surface, forming a thin, even coating.
- Return to the heat and cook the crepe for about a minute or until the underside is speckled with lacy patterns of gold and brown, then gently lift it up with a palette knife and turn it over. This side will cook more quickly, and it will not have the same pretty look. Remove the crepe to a suitable plate, wipe the pan with the buttered paper again, then repeat the process until all the batter is used.
- For fruits: Place the water and sugar in a large saucepan, then simmer over a medium heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Gently stir in the fruit, bring to a simmer, then remove from the heat and strain the fruit through a sieve over a bowl to catch all the juices.
- In a separate bowl stir together the mascarpone, vanilla and icing sugar.
- Fold the pancakes into quarters, then fold the top layer back to create a pocket. Spoon the warm berries into the pocket, then pour over a little of the juices.
- Top with a generous dollop of mascarpone.