Bean and bacon cassoulet
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by iStock
A rich and flavoursome slow-cooked casserole that will brighten up a cold winter's night.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|250 g||Shoulder bacon|
|500 g||Pork mince|
|400 g||Canned tomatoes|
|420 g||Butter beans|
|2 cups||Beef stock|
- Dice and saute the onion in butter or bacon fat, until soft.
- Add the mince and stir-fry until coloured. Pour off any excess fat.
- Add the bacon, crushed tomatoes and juice, diced carrots and herbs.
- Preheat the oven to 160 degC.
- Place half the beans in the base of a large casserole, top with the meat mixture and then the remaining beans.
- Add enough stock so the beans are covered. Cover tightly and cook for an hour.
- Cut the chorizo into 3cm rounds and add to the casserole.
- Extra vegetables, such as green beans or cabbage, could be added at this stage.
- Cover and continue cooking about 30 minutes.