Bread and butter pudding and hot buttered rum
( SERVES 6 )
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|3 tbsp||Caster sugar|
|1 pinch||Ground nutmeg|
|1 pinch||Ground cinnamon|
|1 tsp||Vanilla essence/extract|
|5||Eggs, 3 eggs and 2 yolks|
|1 pinch||Ground nutmeg|
hot buttered rum
|⅓ cup||Brown sugar|
|4 tbsp||Unsalted butter|
|½ tsp||Vanilla essence/extract|
|1||Whole nutmeg, freshly grated|
|1½ cups||Dark rum|
|1 to serve||Cream, whipped|
- Heat the oven to medium.
- Butter the inside of an ovenproof serving dish.
- Rip, cube or slice about 500g of the bread you are using and pack this into the buttered dish.
- In a solid pan mix together: 1½ cups of milk and ½ cup of cream 3 tbs castor sugar a pinch each of ground nutmeg, cinnamon and salt Half a vanilla pod (split) or 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla essence If using a vanilla pod, heat this now until the sugar is dissolved then cover the pan and allow the pod to infuse for a while. If using vanilla extract, heat the other ingredients and add the extract once you remove them from the heat.
- In a large bowl whisk 3 medium eggs and 2 yolks. Pour half the hot milk mixture into this while you keep whisking, then gradually whisk in the rest.
- Pour this over the bread in the ovenproof dish. Cover with cling film and leave for half an hour so the bread soaks up all the custard.
- Set a baking tray half filled with water on to the middle tray of the oven.
- Remove the plastic from the pudding and sprinkle the top with some raisins, sugar and a pinch of cinnamon and grated nutmeg. Dot with butter.
- Sit pudding in the water bath. The water should be about halfway up the side of the dish. Top up if required. Cook for a good 40 minutes. A skewer should come out clean when the pudding is cooked. Serve with cream, either liquid or whipped.
Hot buttered rum Makes 6 drinks
- In a bowl, mash together a third of a cup of packed dark brown sugar, 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter, half a teaspoon of pure vanilla extract, and a good pinch each of cinnamon, ground cloves, ground allspice and freshly grated nutmeg. This must be well combined and can be kept for a couple of weeks. Before using, bring to room temperature.
- Warm the mugs and glasses you are using with hot water. Empty these and fill the warm mugs with a ¼ cup of dark rum and ½cup of boiling water.
- Stir in a generous tablespoon of the spiced butter, top with whipped cream and a final grating of fresh nutmeg.