Steamed apple brioche pudding with calvados anglaise
( SERVES 4 )
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|25 g||Butter, melted|
|½ cup||Brown sugar|
|3||Apples, (golden delcious, peeled and grated)|
|100 g||Brown sugar|
|1 tsp||Vanilla extract|
|2 tbsp||Caster sugar|
|1 tbsp||Vanilla extract|
|3 tsp||Calvados (apple brandy), or brandy|
- To make the anglaise - whisk the eggs, sugar and vanilla in a bowl.
- Bring the milk to a simmering point then pour over the ingredients and stir just enough until the mixture begins to thicken. Make sure it does not boil.
- Pour through a chinois or a strainer then stir pour into a saucepan and let gently cook until the custard begins to thicken. When cool, stir through the calvados or brandy.
- To make the pudding, grease 4 heatproof pudding bowls. Pour the sugar and melted butter into a bowl.
- Stir through the grated apple. Place 2 tablespoons of apple in the base of each bowl, add the remainder to the brioche mixture.
- Slice the brioche and put into a second bowl. Add the lemon, cinnamon, sugar and vanilla.
- Whisk the eggs, cream and milk together then pour over the mixture.
- Leave to soak for 20 minutes before covering and steaming for 30 minutes. Serve warm with the anglaise poured over