Fried apple doughnuts with vanilla mascarpone
( SERVES 16 )
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|1 tbsp||Caster sugar|
|2||Apples, peeled, cored, diced|
|1 tsp||Vanilla extract|
|½ cup||Apple juice|
|1 tbsp||Active dried yeast|
|1 cup||Milk, lukewarm|
|2 cups||Strong flour|
|50 g||Butter, diced|
|1 to fry||Oil, vegetable or rice bran|
|200 g||Mascarpone, mixed with 2 tsp vanilla extract|
- To make the filling; gently simmer all the ingredients together until soft then leave to cool.
- To make the doughnut mixture; mix the yeast with half of the warmed milk then set aside to begin fermenting.
- Sieve the flour and salt together. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Mix the egg, sugar and remaining milk together then gently knead to make a soft dough.
- Place in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap or a damp teatowel. Leave in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oil to 175 degC. Shape the dough into balls, placing the apple filling in the centre.
- Fry until golden, turning to ensure an even colour. Roll in sugar then serve with vanilla mascarpone on the side.