( SERVES 4 )
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|6 pieces||Beef schnitzel|
|½ cup||Pitted prunes|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|1 cup||Beef stock|
|2 tbsp||Soy sauce|
|1 tsp||Tomato paste|
- Lay out 6 pieces of beef schnitzel.
- Mix together a cup of soft breadcrumbs (you need to make them fresh, not toasted), ½ cup of chopped prunes, a finely diced small onion, lemon zest and salt and pepper.
- Divide mix into six, place at one end of each schnitzel and then roll schnitzels up.
- Toothpick along each roll to hold it together.
- Brown the "olives" in oil.
- Remove from the pan, cool a little and then cut each roll into 3 or 4 pieces. Place these in a casserole dish.
- Place the frying pan back on the heat and stir in a tablespoon of flour. Cook for a minute.
- Add a cup of beef stock, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and a teaspoon of tomato paste.
- Whisk together, scraping up all the bits from the pan. Pour this over the beef olives and cook in a moderate oven for around 45 minutes. Mashed potatoes are a great match for the rich sauce.