Brandy glazed apple spice walnut cake
( SERVES 10 )
This beautifully delicious cake has cinnamon and mixed spice that pairs nicely with the apple and walnut. The cake contains no dairy, so substitute the icing for a dairy-free alternative to make it completely dairy-free.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|1½ cups||Vegetable oil|
|2 cups||Caster sugar|
|2 cups||Plain flour|
|1¼ tsp||Ground cinnamon|
|½ tsp||Mixed spice|
|1½ tsp||Baking soda|
|1 cup||Ground almonds|
|1¼ cups||Walnuts, chopped|
|3½ cups||Apples, peeled, cored and diced|
|3 tbsp||Calvados (apple brandy)|
|2 tbsp||White sugar|
|1 tbsp||Brown sugar|
|¼ cup||Freshly squeezed orange juice|
|2 tbsp||Calvados (apple brandy)|
|1||Cream, creme fraiche, or yoghurt, to serve|
- Preheat the oven to 160 degC. Line a 24cm spring form tin.
- Beat the oil and sugar until thick. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift all the dry ingredients together then fold through the first mixture with the almonds.
- Combine the walnuts, apples and calvados then fold into the mixture.
- Spoon into the tin and bake for 1 1/2 hours, testing after 1 1/4 hours with a skewer.
- To make the glaze; put all the ingredients into a saucepan and bring to a boil while stirring.
- Boil for 10 minutes or until the syrup is reduced and thickened.
- Pour over the cooled cake and serve with cream, creme fraiche or yoghurt.