Feijoa and vanilla jelly
( SERVES 1 )
I love the flavour of feijoas and they are in season for a short time so making this jelly is a great way to make the most of your backyard bounty.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|2 tsp||Lemons, (rind)|
|1 tbsp||Lemon juice|
|2 tsp||Vanilla extract|
- Chop the feijoas and put into a large saucepan with the lemon rind, juice, vanilla and bay leaf.
- Cover with water then bring to a boil and cook for about 30 minutes or until the fruit is very soft.
- Pour into either a jelly bag or use a double layer of muslin suspended over a bowl.
- Leave the juice to drip through - don't be tempted to squeeze the bag or the jelly will be cloudy. Allow 3/4 to 1 hour for this.
- Measure the juice and place in a saucepan along with 1 cup of sugar per cup of juice.
- Bring to a boil then cook rapidly for 15 minutes. Skim any froth from the top before pouring into warm, sterilised jars. Seal while hot.