Hot cross buns
In baking correct measurement means all.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|20 g||Active dried yeast|
|50 g||Milk powder|
|25 g||Mixed spice|
|60 g||Bing cherries, optional|
|40 g||Mixed peel|
|10 g||Ground ginger|
- Mix together all of the dry ingredients in an electric mixing bowl, then add the melted butter and water and mix on slow speed for 2 minutes until the dough starts to form.
- Change the speed to medium and mix for 6 minutes, then add the fruit and mixed peel and mix for a further 2 minutes until all the fruit is combined.
- When mixed, remove hot cross bun dough from the bowl on to a lightly floured bench and scale (weigh out) the dough into 120g pieces.
- Round into tight balls and place on a lightly greased pan with high sides, leaving a gap about half the size of each bun between them on the tray.
- Cover loosely with plastic film and place in a warm place. Allow to double in size.
- Pre-heat your oven to 200C on fan bake.
- Once the buns have doubled in size, use a piping bag to put a cross on the top of each bun (see recipe below) and put in the oven.
- Reduce the temperature to 180C and bake for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve hot with salted butter.
Hot cross bun crossing mix
- Mix the flour and sugar together then add approximately 2 tablespoons of milk to form a thick paste. Place in a piping bag ready for use.