Pear, chorizo, mint and cabbage salad
( SERVES 4 )
I love any type of coleslaw - all crispy with fresh flavours and served with a generous dressing (but not gloopy mayo). Shredded green and red cabbage with slices of pear and crispy chorizo is a heavenly match paired with a mint, mustard and gherkin vinaigrette. If you make this recipe and leave it for up to three days, it will get even better and is a great salad to have on hand to serve in a crusty bread roll or with grilled chicken.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|3 tbsp||White wine|
|2 tsp||Balsamic vinegar|
|1 tbsp||Olive oil|
|2||Chorizo sausages, halved and sliced finely|
|100 g||Green cabbage, finely sliced|
|100 g||Red cabbage, finely sliced|
|30 g||Mint leaves, sliced|
|1 tbsp||Dijon mustard|
|1 tsp||Brown sugar|
|3 tbsp||Mint leaves|
|1 cup||Olive oil|
|2 tbsp||Lemon juice|
|1 pinch||Salt, to taste|
- Halve the pears, remove the core then slice.
- Heat a fry pan. Warm the butter and wine then gently cook the sliced pears for at least 15 minutes or until tender. Let cool then remove the pear slices and reserve the sauce.
- Add the balsamic and olive oil to the warm pan then add the sliced chorizo with the two types of cabbage. Put on the lid and let gently cook for 5 minutes. Toss the pears, chorizo and cabbage with the fresh mint before serving with the dressing.
- To make the dressing; place the gherkin, mustard, sugar and mint into the bowl of a food processor. Combine until smooth with the olive oil .
- Add the lemon juice then taste for seasoning before serving with the salad.