Best chicken sandwich
This is based on the chicken sandwich served at Harry's Bar in Venice, Italy. Its mounded shape is reminiscent of a Venetian bridge.
|1 to serve||Chicken, poached and shredded|
|1 to taste||Mayonnaise|
|1 handful||Fresh basil|
|2 handfuls||Iceberg lettuce, or use cos lettuce|
|1 slice||White bread, crusts removed, quantity to suit your numbers|
- Mix shredded poached chicken with an excellent mayonnaise, preferably one you have made yourself from egg yolks and oil.
- Add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Season well and add lots of ripped fresh basil leaves.
- Shred some iceberg or cos lettuce.
- Set out sliced white bread with the crusts removed. Spread these with a thin layer of mayonnaise. For this substantial sandwich I use toast-cut, not sandwich bread.
- Place some shredded lettuce on the bottom layer through the centre of the slice.
- Mound the chicken mix (about a finger-thickness in height) over the lettuce.
- Place the top layer of bread over this and press both sides down. Trim off any excess bread. Cut into two widthwise. You could also use this filling in a two-tier club sandwich by putting the lettuce on one layer, and the chicken mix on the other.
This dish is best matched with
$ VIEW DEAL