Beef with tamarind, fried eggplant and spinach salad
( SERVES 4 )
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|450 g||Scotch fillets, (3x150g fillets)|
|50 g||Tamarind pulp|
|½ cup||Water, (hot)|
|3 cloves||Garlic, (finely sliced)|
|3 tsp||Freshly ground black pepper|
|1 tbsp||Soy sauce|
|3 tsp||Palm sugar, (grated)|
|1 tbsp||Peanut oil|
|4 handfuls||Baby spinach, (or one bag)|
|1||Lemon, (juice of)|
- Place the scotch fillet in a dish. Soak the tamarind pulp in the hot water for 30 minutes then rub with your fingers before pushing through a strainer with the water. Pour over the beef.
- Add the garlic, pepper, soy and palm sugar then leave to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Line the steamer with baking paper and sit over a saucepan of simmering water. Remove the beef from the marinade, cover and steam for 15 minutes, in batches depending on the size of your steamer.
- Meanwhile heat the peanut oil and fry the eggplant until golden. Toss with the spinach leaves and lemon juice.
- Simmer the remaining marinade for 3 minutes. Serve the scotch fillet sliced with with the marinade spooned over it and accompanied by the eggplant and spinach salad.