Beef and mushroom filo pie
Beef and mushrooms are a classic flavour combination and these pies are great for lunch or dinner.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|4 tbsp||Oil, Olivado high heat oil|
|1||Onion, fianly chopped|
|2||Garlic cloves, crushed|
|3 tbsp||Tomato paste|
|500 g||Blade steak, diced into 1cm cubes|
|1 cup||Red wine, merlot|
|1 cup||Beef stock|
|2 tbsp||Worcestershire sauce|
|1 tsp||Wholegrain mustard|
|1 handful||Fresh thyme, leaves picked|
|8||Button mushrooms, roughly chopped|
|8||Shiitake mushrooms, whole and soaked|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|4 sheets||Filo pastry|
- Place 2 tbsp oil into medium heat pan and saute onions and garlic until translucent. Add tomato paste and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Season beef, remove onion mix and in the same non-stick pan add rest of oil and sear beef 4-5 minutes. Add onion mix.
- Turn up heat and deglaze pan with red wine. Reduce wine by at least half, add beef stock, bay leaf, thyme, mushrooms and Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to a simmer for 1-1½ hours, stirring frequently. Beef should be nice and tender. Check the sauce while cooking and add water so it does not dry out. You want to be left with enough sauce to put into the pies so that they are nice and moist when eating.
- Have 3-4 filo sheets cut into squares. Spoon mixture into the centre of the sheets and gently fold up the sides.
- Tie up the opening of the pie with a piece of string so it resembles a money bag.
- Brush egg wash around the outside of the filo so that it crunches up the pastry.
- Cook in a 180 decC until golden. Serve while hot.