This is a way to capture the essence of a lemon crop and enjoy it later in the year. Apart from sipping, serving over ice or mixing with soda, limoncello is a wonderful liquid to pour over icecream and desserts.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|24||Lemons, making sure all pith has been scrapped from the back of the peel (the lemons left can be juiced and frozen for future use).|
|2¼ Ltr||Vodka, unflavoured|
- Peel 24 lemons, making sure all pith has been scrapped from the back of the peel (the lemons left can be juiced and frozen for future use).
- In a large jar cover the peel with 2.25l of unflavoured vodka. Close and leave to infuse at room temperature for a week.
- Bring 6 cups of sugar and 8 cups of water to boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Simmer for 15 mins.
- Cool sugar mixture to room temperature then stir into infused vodka.
- Strain and funnel into glass bottles, seal and leave for two weeks at room temperature.
- It is now ready to savour - like sunshine in a glass.