Dulce de leche icecream with salted almonds
( SERVES 4 )
Dulce de leche
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|½ cup||Caster sugar|
|2 cups||Whole milk|
|2 tsp||Vanilla extract|
|½ cup||Roasted almonds, (and salted)|
- To make the dulce de leche; pour the milk and sugar into a large saucepan. Over a medium heat, stir occasionally until the sugar has dissolved.
- Split the vanilla bean and scrape the seeds into the saucepan. Add the bean as well.
- Add the soda and reduce the heat to a bare simmer. Cook for approximately 2 1/2 hours or until a dark caramel colour. Remove the vanilla bean. Serve hot over the icecream or cool and refrigerate for up to 1 month.
- To make the icecream; whisk the eggs and sugar together until pale. Combine the milk and vanilla in a saucepan and bring to boiling point. Pour on the eggs while whisking.
- Return the mixture to a clean saucepan and stir, making sure it doesn't boil, until the mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon. Strain and let cool.
- Stir in the cream then either churn in an icecream machine or pour into a shallow dish and freeze until just firm. Blend in a food processor then return to the freezer. Repeat this process twice.
- Serve the icecream with the dulce de leche and roughly chopped salted almonds.