North African Baked Fish
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|2||Fish, whole, approx 1.5kg each|
|3 tbsp||Cumin seeds, toasted|
|1 cup||Fresh parsley, roughly chopped|
|½ cup||Olive oil|
- Buy two 1.5kg fish (tarakihi or snapper) and get them gutted and scaled. Slash the top side of the fish with 3 cuts.
- In your mortar and pestle or food processor grind the following: 3 tbsp toasted cumin seeds 12 cloves garlic 1 cup fresh parsley roughly chopped 3 tsp salt
- Transfer into a bowl and mix in the juice of 3 lemons.
- Place the fish in a large shallow baking pan and rub the spice mixture all over the fish (inside and out). Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the fridge for at least 30 mins. Preheat the oven to 200.
- Remove fish from the fridge. Slice 3 peeled carrots, 12 new potatoes, 1 lemon and 2 green chillies and scatter around the fish.
- Pour half a cup of water and half cup of olive oil over the fish and vegetables.
- Bake, basting often until the fish is cooked through - around 30 minutes. Transfer the fish and vegetables onto a serving platter. Cook some greens or make a salad and offer some toasted pita or crusty bread to mop up the delicious juices.