Leftover smoked fish can be made into a tasty fish pie.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
- Pick over the fish, being careful to remove any bones.
- Put 3 cups of milk into a large saucepan and warm. Add some onion slices, a bay leaf, a few peppercorns and allow to infuse for 10 mins.
- Strain out the aromatics and use this milk to poach any vegetables you might want to include in the pie - carrot slices, celery slices, diced onion, fennel slices, frozen peas, some spinach or silverbeet leaves, whatever you fancy and have on hand.
- Strain the contents when your vegetables have just cooked, reserving the milk.
- Put your fish and vegetables into a casserole dish.
- Make a white sauce with 3 tablespoons of butter, half a cup of flour and the warm milk. Pour this over the fish mixture, season well and add chopped parsley, dill or chives and maybe some lemon zest.
- Arrange slices of cooked potatoes across the top of the pie, brush with oil and bake for 30 mins in a moderate oven (or you can use leftover mashed potato for your topping.
NB: Any whole fish may be used but it needs to be fleshy. Salmon works beautifully.
This dish is best matched with
$ VIEW DEAL