Chocolate mousse with caramelised oranges and lavender
( SERVES 4 )
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|250 g||Dark chocolate|
|2||Oranges, plus 1/2 cup of the juice|
|2 tsp||Dried lavender|
- Grate or roughly chop the chocolate into a bowl. Sit over a saucepan of simmering water until melted.
- Stir in the rum then remove from the heat. Stir in the egg yolks.
- Whip the egg whites until a soft peak forms. Gently fold into the chocolate.
- Whip the cream and fold in. Pour the mousse into individual serving dishes and refrigerate until set.
- Peel and segment the oranges. Heat a pan, add the sugar and squeeze the remaining juice from the oranges, adding enough extra orange juice to make a syrup.
- Simmer the oranges for 5 minutes then let cool. Sprinkle with the lavender before serving with the mousse.
Chef's tip : When melting chocolate, roughly chop or grate it first. Chocolate needs to be melted over a gentle heat, preferably in a bowl over simmering water. If too hot the chocolate will split and burn. A microwave works well as long as you heat gently. Chocolate only needs to be warm to melt.