These pies are a banoffee lover's delight. Make sure that you use really ripe bananas for a "true" banana flavour.
|1||Banana, very ripe|
|125 g||Unsalted butter, or vegetable shortening, softened|
|200 g||Caster sugar|
|340 g||Self raising flour|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
|250 ml||Sour cream|
|100 ml||Water, hot not boiling|
|2 tbsp||Golden syrup|
|50 g||Unsalted butter|
|2 tbsp||Soft brown sugar|
|2 tbsp||Double cream|
|2||Bananas, ripe, sliced|
|1||Banana, ripe, mashed with the lemon juice|
|300 g||Cream, clotted|
- Preheat oven to 180°C. To make the pies, mash the banana with the lemon juice in a bowl using a fork.
- Cream together the butter and caster sugar in a mixing bowl for 2-3 minutes using an electric hand-held mixer, until light and creamy.
- Add the mashed banana and egg and mix again. Sift the flour and baking powder into the bowl and add the salt and sour cream.
- Whisk again until everything is incorporated. Add the hot water and whisk into the mixture.
- Put a large spoonful of mixture in each hole in the prepared tins (two 12-hole whoopie pie tins, greased or you can pipe them on to baking sheets in the same manner as macarons).
- Leave to stand for 10 minutes then bake each tin in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove the pies from the oven, let cool slightly then turn out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the caramel bananas
- Gently heat the golden syrup, butter and brown sugar in a saucepan until the sugar has dissolved and you have a smooth caramel sauce.
- Slowly pour in the double cream and stir until it is incorporated then remove from the heat and allow to cool. When cooled, remove a little sauce and reserve for decoration.
- Add the banana slices to the saucepan and toss gently using a spoon to ensure the banana slices are well coated.
To make the banana cream
- Fold the mashed banana into the clotted cream. Spoon some on to 12 of the pie halves, reserving enough to use as a topping.
- Add a spoonful of caramel bananas and cover with the remaining pie halves.
- Put a spoonful of the banana cream on top of each pie, add a dried banana chip and a drizzle of the reserved caramel sauce.
This dish is best matched with
$ VIEW DEAL