Orange and cream cheese scones with rhubarb jam
|2 tbsp||Lemon juice|
|100 g||Caster sugar|
|2 tsp||Oranges, finely zested|
|3 cups||Self raising flour|
|½ cup||Caster sugar, plus extra to sprinkle|
|½ tsp||Vanilla extract|
|70 g||Butter, cubed|
|1 cup||Milk, (whole)|
|12 tbsp||Cream cheese|
- To make the rhubarb jam; simmer the rhubarb, water, lemon, sugar and orange rind until thick and pulpy.
- This will take about 20 minutes, while stirring, to prevent the rhubarb catching on the bottom of the pot. Leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 220 degC. Put the flour, salt and sugar into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the vanilla and butter then rub with fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Whisk the egg and milk, add enough to the scone dough to make a soft dough, while reserving a little to glaze the scones.
- Press the dough gently on to a floured surface.
- Cut into rounds, brush with the leftover eggwash and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place on to a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Slice in half and spread with cream cheese and serve with rhubarb jam.