Chocolate hot cross buns
( SERVES 16 )
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|2 tbsp||Active dried yeast|
|½ cup||Caster sugar|
|1½ cups||Milk, luke warm|
|4½ cups||Plain flour|
|1 tbsp||Dutch cocoa powder|
|50 g||Butter, melted|
|2 cups||White chocolate bits, chips, split into two amounts|
|¼ cup||Caster sugar|
|¼ cup||Water, hot|
|½||Gelatine leaf, soaked in cold water till soft and squeezed|
- In a mixing bowl, stir the yeast, first amount of sugar and milk together, cover with cling-film and set aside for 15 minutes until frothy.
- In an electric mixing bowl, sift the flour and salt. Make a well and add yeast paste, butter, egg, cocoa and half the chocolate chips.
- Knead the dough for five minutes until elastic, place in a greased mixing bowl, cover with cling film and allow proving for 1 hours.
- Knock back the dough, add the remaining chocolate chips and divide the dough into 16 equal-sized balls.
- Place on a non-stick baking paper-lined tray close together and allow proving for 20 to 30 minutes, then place into a pre-heated 180 degC oven for 25 minutes.
- In a saucepan, bring sugar and water to the boil, add gelatine to dissolve and put the saucepan in a sink of ice water to thicken.
- Brush over the buns once out of the oven, add your cross if required and serve piping hot.