Lemon and polenta syrup cake
( SERVES 6 )
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|250 g||Butter, softened|
|1 cup||Caster sugar|
|½ cup||Polenta, instant|
|2 cups||Ground almonds|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
|2 tbsp||Lemons, grated rind & 2 tbsp juice|
- Preheat oven to 160 degC. Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until pale and creamy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until well combined. Add the polenta, ground almonds, baking powder, lemon rind and juice and fold through to combine.
- Spoon into a lightly greased 20cm x 30cm tin lined with non-stick baking paper.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for a further 20-25 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- To make the lemon syrup, place the lemon juice, water and sugar in a saucepan over low heat and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Increase heat to high and cook for 8-10 minutes or until thickened. Cool slightly and pour over the cake and set aside for 30 minutes.
Tips and tricks Swap: You can turn the lemon and polenta syrup cake into an orange syrup cake simply by replacing the lemon juice and rind with orange juice and rind in the cake and the syrup.
Travel: Place your cake in plastic containers lined with non-stick baking paper before drizzling the syrup over to make the cake easier to transport.