Savoury garden vegetable & cheese twist
|150 g||Tasty cheese, grated|
|20 g||Parmesan cheese, grated|
|30 g||Red onions, finely chopped|
|2||Garlic cloves, crushed|
|25 g||Red capsicum, finely chopped|
|25 g||Green capsicum, finely chopped|
|2 tbsp||Fresh parsley|
|40 g||Sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped|
|½ tsp||Smoked paprika|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|20 g||Caster sugar|
|25 g||Baking powder|
|70 g||Butter, softened|
|1 to dust||Flour|
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl to form a rough spreadable paste. Cover and set aside.
- Sift the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Add butter and rub into the flour with your fingers to form coarse crumbs. Whisk one egg and milk together and pour into dry ingredients. Use a wooden spoon to mix together to form a soft dough.
- Tip dough on to floured bench and knead for 10-20 seconds - don't over-knead or dough will become too elastic. Cut dough into two equal pieces or leave whole for a large loaf. Shape pieces into squares. Using a rolling pin, roll out each dough piece on a floured bench to a 25cm square.
- Whisk one egg and 2 tablespoons of water together to make an egg wash.
- Spread half the filling evenly on top of each dough sheet or all the filling over the single sheet of dough if making a large loaf, leaving about 1cm free along one edge. Brush egg wash along that edge. Working towards the edge painted with egg wash, firmly roll up each dough sheet to achieve a Swiss roll or log shape. Using a large chef's knife or dough scraper, make a single lengthways cut along the middle of each log, all the way through.
- To make the log, take one strand in each hand with the cut side of each strand facing towards you and twist the strands around each other. Press the ends firmly together to make sure they do not unwind during the baking process. Place the twist on to a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper, keeping them well apart so they don't join during baking. Brush the twist with remaining egg wash and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Bake smaller loaves for 30-35 minutes in a preheated oven set at 190C-200C. Turn the tray halfway through baking time to ensure an even colour. Remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack.