Crispy garlic and pepper chicken with snow peas and oyster sauce
( SERVES 4 )
The combination of garlic, pepper and coriander root is essentially Thai and is used in simple dishes like fried rice, or as part of more complex recipes like red or green curry paste. Along with chillies, shrimp paste, fish sauce and lime juice, these are the fundamental building blocks for Thai cooking. Just about any Thai restaurant will have a dish that is finished with crispy garlic and pepper. The recipe can be adapted for any meat or seafood and is usually served with a hot and sour-style sauce to cut through the richness of the deep-fried garlic. Use fresh garlic and if your garlic is starting to shoot, take a few extra minutes to remove the shoot with a paring knife, otherwise the paste could be bitter.
Crispy garlic and pepper paste
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
Chicken stir fry
|1 cup||Vegetable oil|
|500 g||Chicken pieces, cut into stir-fry strips|
|125 g||Snow peas|
|2 tbsp||Oyster sauce|
|1 tbsp||Fish sauce|
|1 tsp||Light palm sugar|
|1 handful||Coriander leaves|
Chilli and vinegar sauce
|2||Red chillies, large chillies, de-seeded and chopped|
|2 optional||Chilli, small chopped|
|4 tbsp||Coconut vinegar|
|2 tbsp||Cane sugar|
- To make paste: In a mortar and pestle, pound the coriander, peppercorns, garlic, ginger and salt to a paste. Set aside.
- To cook: Heat the vegetable oil to moderate in a wok and cook the Crispy Garlic and Pepper Paste until golden and crispy. Do not overcook or it will become bitter. Drain on paper towel and set aside.
- Drain all but 2 Tbs oil and heat wok to high. Then add chicken, stir-frying on high heat until just cooked. Add the snow peas, oyster sauce, fish sauce, and palm sugar, cooking until just combined.
- Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with crispy garlic and pepper mix and coriander leaves. Serve with chilli and vinegar sauce on the side.
- To make the sauce: Pound the chillies, garlic, coriander and salt to a paste.
- Transfer to a bowl, stir in the vinegar and sugar.
This dish is best matched with
$ VIEW DEAL